Relocation with Children

Parenting Plan & Relocation with Children

Sometimes parents need to move. When parents are subject to a parenting plan/residential schedule for their children (in Washington State), there is standard language in that order addressing the requirements a primary residential parent needs to follow in order to relocate outside the child’s current school district (or further) with the child.

Prior to relocation with a child, the primary custodial parent must file a Notice of Intended Relocation and serve the other parent (or any other party with visitation rights with a child). The other parent/party then has the opportunity to object to the relocation. If an objection is filed/served, a hearing must be held to determine whether or not the relocation will be allowed temporarily. If agreement cannot be reached, a final determination would be made through a trial.

Both Laurie Ummel and Geoff Gibbs have extensive experience with relocation cases and trials, representing both the relocating and non-relocating parent/party.

Contact us for a consultation if you are considering relocating or need to respond to a Notice of Intended Relocation.


  • - -

Family Law Attorneys:


Anderson Hunter has always delivered quality service. They are one of the few firms that make a connection on a personal level. I have never been disappointed when working with them.

Charlie Anderson

Stay Up To Date

Subscribe to our News Feed and get the latest on Local and State legal changes that impact your business and family.