Post-Secondary Support

Post-Secondary Educational Support

Post Secondary Support refers to support paid by parents for their adult children who are still dependent because they are attending college and seeking a degree or training for a trade (absent a support order that has already addressed it this issue).

Post-secondary support is never automatic (unless it was specifically provided for in the existing support order), and cannot be court ordered for parents who are married.

Post-secondary support only applies for parents who are divorced, divorcing, or who have never been married. Where an Order of Child Support has already been entered, post-secondary support is often “reserved” to be addressed at such time as a child is approaching graduation from high school (or turns 18, whichever occurs last). It is critical that a Petition for post-secondary support be filed prior to expiration of the existing Order of Child Support (ie: before child turns 18 or graduation from high school, whichever occurs last).

To determine whether it is appropriate/advisable to seek post-secondary support for your child, contact Laurie Ummel or Geoff Gibbs and make an appointment for a consultation.


  • - -

Family Law Attorneys:


Anderson Hunter has always delivered quality service. They are one of the few firms that make a connection on a personal level. I have never been disappointed when working with them.

Charlie Anderson

Stay Up To Date

Subscribe to our News Feed and get the latest on Local and State legal changes that impact your business and family.